Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Bulky Gathered Hat


This was knit in 3 hours! Wild Purls just got this new bulky Noro yarn in the shop called Bonbori. Of course, customers are always wanting to know how yarns knit up so I made this up as a shop sample. Noro Bonbori is a bulky yarn - beautiful colors, not as soft as the silk garden yarns but then again, there is no silk in it. It knit up great, no splitting, and it got softer after I blocked it.

I modified my Perfectly Easie Beanie pattern and did some increases in the first Stockinette row, knit a few inches higher than a normal beanie, and then started my decreases. The extra height will make room for the gathered area in the back. With the leftover yarn, I made an I-cord (about 16 - 18” long) and fed it through 4 folds in the back of the top of the hat (if that makes any sense!) I did do a bit of blocking. I shaped and pinned it first, stretching it out at the top of the head to give more slouchy-ness so the gathered folds would have more to work with. I kind of like it!

No comments: